June 8, 2010

Graham Edward

Graham Edward Pokorny arrived 12 days early on Thursday, June 3, 2010 at 9:59 a.m.!! He weighed 7 pounds, 10 ounces and was 19 inches long. I started having contractions Wednesday night around 10:30 that were pretty painful and 5-6 minutes apart. After timing them for an hour, we called the on-call doctor and she said to go ahead and go to the hospital. We had to go through the Emergency Room since it was after midnight, and they wheeled us up to Labor and Delivery. The nurse checked me and I was dialated to a 3, and that morning I had only been a 1.5. They decided to admit me, and I was allowed to have my epidural as soon as I wanted, which was right away!


I was pretty comfy all night, and then at 7 a.m. they started the Pitocin. After that, things went pretty fast. I went from a 3 to a 7.8 in 30 minutes and then to a 9 thirty minutes after that. So in one hour, I went from a 3 to a 9. I was feeling a ton of pressure and it was getting pretty painful, so they had another anesthesiologist come in and give me a booster dose of pain medicine. It took forever for him to get there for some reason I can't remember, and each contraction was pretty uncomfortable. Then, after he arrived it was a little better for awhile, but the pressure was still super intense. When they realized I was at a 9, my water still hadn't broken, so my doctor go there and broke my water, then said he would come back as soon as I was ready to push. I ended up having to wait to push because there was a tiny bit of cervix the baby had to clear. It was pretty awful because I felt like I had to push but I just had to breathe through each contraction, even though my body started pushing on its own. Once he had cleared it, and the doctor came in, I only pushed for 19 minutes and he was out! He cried right away and was healthy and perfect! There is no way to explain how much we love him.









3 comments:

bcfamily said...

Awww...Your story and pictures made me all teary eyed. I am so happy for you guys. Graham is so adorable.

The Sweatman Family said...

That picture of Chad crying makes my heart just melt!

Melissa said...

Congrats you guys! He is so cute. Man, they grow up so fast. It sounds like you and Chad did an excellent job. I hope you are feeling well.