July 1, 2010

Pregnancy Journies

Pregnancy #1 {Graham Edward}

In August of 2009, a few months shy of our one year anniversary, we decided we wanted to start trying to have a baby. We said we weren't going to really actively try, but just not prevent. Then, if we didn't get pregnant right away, we would wait and really start trying in December. At the very beginning of October I started to notice some things. I was hot all the time, but since we live in Texas, and it was 90 plus outside, that wasn't too strange. I also noticed some mild lower back cramping a few times. One night, we cooked steaks and I ate all my huge steak, plus Chad's leftovers. Defintely not the norm for me!!

On Monday, October 5th, I woke up with the first thing on my mind being "I should take a pregnancy test." My cycles have always been pretty irregular (far apart) so, I wasn't really sure when I was supposed to take one, and had already taken 2 a few weeks ago. I was scheduled to get my wisdom teeth out that Friday, so I had to make sure I wasn't pregnant.

We didn't have any tests at home, so I had to run out to CVS and grabbed one. When I got home, I said a prayer that if I'm pregnant, just please let it say positive. Wouldn't you know, not 2 minutes later that little test had that life-changing word pregnant on it. Even though we were trying for a baby I. WAS. SHOCKED. I just don't think you can ever have any other reaction to that kind of news.

The first person I called was my Mom.  I know, I'm a horrible wife. But, I had already talked to her that morning and told her I was going to take a test. I was bawling. I have no idea why. I think I was just overwhelmed at the excitement and reality of the situation. I decided I wanted to tell Chad in person, so I told him that night. You can read the whole story here.

My pregnancy went pretty smooth, other than some spotting at the beginning and then again at the start of my second trimester that caused me to have to quit my job watching Chad's twin cousins who were 1 at the time. I have been a stay-at-home mom ever since. At 20 weeks, we found out we were having a boy. Again, I was shocked! I had thought it was a boy at first, then I started thinking it was a girl, so I think it just threw me off. Even though I grew up with one sister and no brothers, I knew I would love having a boy.  Growing up I was definitely a girly-girl but I also  liked to climb trees,  play with frogs and lizards and turtles and was kind of a tomboy.

Around the end of my pregnancy, I started having high blood pressure. By 38 weeks, I was put on bed rest, but it only lasted 1/2 a day, becasue I went into labor that night. We got to rush to the hospital in the middle of the night, just like in the movies. For some reason, Chad and I both wanted it to be like that, so we got our wish!

My labor went smooth and fast! I went from a 3 to a 7/8 in 30 minutes and to a 9 only 30 minutes after that. I only pushed for 19 painful minutes, and then Graham Edward was born. He was a little chunkster weighing in at a healthy 7 pounds, 10 ounces and 19 inches long. Perfect as can be. You can read more about my labor and delivery here and a more detailed version here. Blog posts about pregnancy range from October 2009- June 2010. Graham is just the light of our lives, and cracks us up each and every day. We are so thankful God blessed us with our baby boy!!!

Pregnancy #2: {Claire Addison}
Before we had even gotten married, Chad always said that by the time our first baby turned one, he wanted me to already be pregnant again. I wasn't so sure that was going to happen, but around the time Graham had his first birthday, we decided we were ready to start trying for baby #2.
Again, we were blessed and got pregnant right away. Like on the first try. I got my positive pregnancy test on July 17, 2011. We were thrilled, and couldn't believe it happened so fast. Both times, getting pregnant on the first cycle! This pregnancy went even more smoothly than the first. No spotting, no high blood pressure, just some mild morning sickness. My due date was March 26, 2012.
On October 8th, we had a gender reveal party and found out we would be welcoming a girl!! We were thrilled!!! I feel so blessed to get the chance to raise both a rough and tumble boy and a precious baby girl.
The most drama this girl caused was that I had to go into the hospital a couple of times because of contractions. Once super early at 20 weeks, and once again on Valentine's Day (34 weeks). Everything checked out okay though, and after some IV fluids, we were sent home.
I was induced at 39 weeks exactly. I was having a ton of painful contractions for the weeks before, and even getting my membranes stripped at 38 weeks didn't put me into labor. I was SO ready to have her. My doctor broke my water around 7:30 AM, and Claire arrived at11:44 AM. I went from a 3 to a 10 in about 45 minutes and I pushed for a grand total of 1 minute and 30 seconds. That girl was ready to be born! She weighed 7 pounds 10 ounces, just like her big brother! She was a little longer at 19.75 inches (the next week at the pedi she was 19.5 inches, so I think they measured her wrong at birth.) It was a picture-perfect birth. I had just had my epidural (probably got it just in the nick of time!) so I felt no pain or pressure whatsoever. AWESOME!! ;) Claire has been a doll since day one, and we can't get enough of her!! She is especially adored by her big brother, and we can't imagine life without our sweet baby Claire!

No comments: