March 29, 2012

Claire's First Week

Now that I finally got Claire's birth story published (I've been working on it since we got home from the hospital!) I wanted to do a recap of Little Miss' first week. I feel like these first few post-partum days and weeks go by in such a blur. Between being sleep deprived, on pain meds, and having a hard time tearing myself away from my little angel, it's hard to take in everything that has happened. I barely remember the week when Graham was born, so I wanted to document this while I can! WARNING: Suuuper long post!!!

OUR HOSPITAL STAY:

MONDAY (March 19): Claire was born at 11:44 am and she didn't leave my side or our room without us the entire hospital stay, which I LOVED. Chad's parents and Graham were our first visitors, then Maw and Grandad (Chad's grandparents) showed up not long after. That afternoon we had our friends and  church group leader and his wife Jon and Amy come visit, and our friends Jerry and Nicole stopped by, too. That evening, my Aunt Ann and Uncle Sonny came to visit us, and so did David and Kara and our friends Jared and Kelley. Chad left to go eat Freebirds with them while my friends Traci and Nina came by for a visit. Claire had sort of a rough patch during the middle of the night because she had a gas bubble after a feeding. Our night nurse came in to help and gave her some of this sugar water stuff and helped us calm her down. She settled back down, and  fell asleep.


 TUESDAY: It was really stormy that day, so my mom stayed at our house with Graham and we didn't have any visitors until that evening. Chad picked us up Subway for lunch and we just relaxed with Claire. Chad did some work from the laptop and his phone.That afternoon our friend Ashley came by and so did Chad's bestfriend Ryan and his two sisters. That evening, our parents came back up with Graham. He was still not super excited about me being in the hospital bed. He didn't want me to hold him or come up on the bed with me. He didn't want much to do with Chad and Claire either. He was all about the grandparents. My dad, Chad's dad and Chad took Graham to Chick-Fil-A for some dinner b/c the cafeteria was closed for some reason. Then Chad picked us up Cheesecake Factory for dinner. My friend Sarah was on her way back to Dallas and got to stop by and she brought Graham a stuffed Mickey Mouse and Claire a sweet blanket. My friend Jaclyn also stopped by with a magazine and cupcake for me :) And Chad's Aunt Jennifer, Uncle Eddie and cousin Austin came by to meet Claire.

FIRST WEEK AT HOME:

WEDNESDAY: We got released! My doctor actually asked me Tuesday morning if we wanted to go home that day or Wed. I wanted to stay a little longer to give me some time to establish nursing and recover without Graham around to chase. Also, I wanted to make sure Claire was perfectly healthy. Chad had a big surprise for us, that day too. When we were wheeled out waiting for the car, a limo pulled up! He had gotten one of his vendors who owns a limo to take us home from the hospital! He said he wanted Claire to be a princess from day one, and my heart completely melted. The four of us rode home in style, with Claire's stats written on the windows and "Just Born" written on the back! So cute!!! My parents hung out with us during the day, then went home and brought us back Goodson's for dinner later that night. Claire got her first bath at home. She was a little fussy again that night, but it was probably just her getting used to her new environment.





Some of Claire's balloons floated away, but do you see the heart in the clouds??? So neat!!!





THURSDAY: Chad's grandparents (both sets) and his cousin Jamie and her family came to visit us. I was still in my PJ's when everyone showed up, so I had to run to the bedroom to get decent. My parents brought us fajitas for dinner that night. Late that night my milk finally came in, with a vengance!





FRIDAY: Claire had her first check-up at the doctor that morning. Everything looked great! She was down to 7.1 ounces, but that was within the normal range for newborn weight loss. No jaundice, perfectly healthy!!! Chad's boss and his wife stopped by to meet Claire and brought us some presents for Claire and Graham.Chad's parents came over that night and brought us burgers for dinner, and we all took Claire on her first walk down the street. The mosquitos were vicious, so we didn't stay too long, but we did get to introduce Claire to some of the neighbors!







SATURDAY: Our good friend Amber came in town all the way from Dallas to take Claire's newborn pictures. The morning started off crazy b/c we all slept until 8:30 and she was coming over at 10. At 3 am that mornig, Claire had projectile pooped all over Chad, our bedspread and sheets!! We had to wash the sheets, get everyone showered, bathed and dressed and clean up the house all before she got to our house. The pictures turned out amazing, though! I can't wait to see them all. That evening, we took Claire on her first outting to Lowe's to buy a fan for our bedroom. We picked up Chick-fil-A for dinner then went to Chad's grandparents house to visit while his Aunt and Uncle and cousin Jamie were in town for Jamie's birthday. Graham had a blast playing with Jaxson, Jamie's little boy who is only a couple of months younger.










SUNDAY: Chad went to Lowe's with Graham to get mulch for the front yard. He worked on the front yard most of the day. We went to my parents for dinner and to see their new wood floors that were put in the day Claire was born. I had my first BFing meltdown that night because I was so engorged and in pain. The feeding before she went to bed was torturous but the next one was much better. It has gotten better everyday since, thank goodness.



MONDAY: Chad went back to work, and I had both kids by myself for a few hours that morning. My mom came over just as Graham went down for his morning nap. She did a few loads of laundry for me, and watched Claire and Graham while I ran to the dry cleaners to drop off our bedspread that Claire had pooped on and picked up lunch for me, my mom and Graham. My mom left just before I put Graham down for his afternoon nap, and he was still napping when Chad got home from work, so it was a pretty easy day. That night some friends from church dropped off a delicous dinner for us, so nice!! We also made a run to Target for some groceries with both kids. Claire loves the moby wrap, it's so nice for running errands! I feel like she is more protected and less germs can get to her, not to mention curious strangers who feel the need to touch your brand-new baby.


TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY: The past two days I've been all on my own with the kids. I was pretty nervous about it, but so far it has gone great! I've gotten in a shower and put on make-up both days, took the kids for a walk yesterday and been pretty good with keeping up with the laundry and such. Claire is a really good baby. Graham has been taking his naps well, and he is such a good big brother! He calls Claire "Baby" and we always catch him giving her one of her toys, a dropped sock and he even gave her his Bear and paci one day!!!! We were in shock!! He really loves her, and I think he's starting to get that she is part of the family, and is here to stay. He keeps going "Mama, Daddy, Baby" Still can't say his own name, but we're working on it ;) Right now both kids are napping. I'm hoping the rest of this week is smooth sailing. I'm kind of holding my breath hoping Claire doesn't develop a case of colic or Graham starts getting super jealous.

Whew!! What a week! Right now we are getting a decent amount of sleep. I feed Claire around 11 or 12, then we sleep until about 3 am, and feed her again around 5 or 6. We don't have too many plans for the weekend, so I'm hoping we can take it easy and enjoy our time as a family of four! :)

4 comments:

Jonathan, Amy, Addison, Bennett, and Garrett said...

I love all the pictures! I am so glad things are going well. Claire seems like such a sweet little girl already. I can't wait to meet her tomorrow, I am bringing dinner by for y'all. Let me know if you need anything.

Jalei & Lane said...

Ok, the limo idea & his reasoning is probably the sweetest thing any daddy can ever do for their little girl! I can't believe he even thought of that. Good job!

The Colschen's said...

I totally agree with the previous comment. So sweet of daddy to treat his baby girl like a princess from day one! She is a doll by the way :)

Christina said...

I agree with Jalei. Chad that was too sweet. Glad you guys had such a great first week.