September 11, 2012

September 11th

It's been 11 years since the Septmeber 11th attacks on America, and all day I had a heavy heart. It was a normal day for us. We ate breakfast, the kids napped, I worked on a new Beth Moore study, then we ate lunch at Chick-fil-A, and came home and played until Chad got home from work. It was a typical Tuesday in our house. Yet, I know that for thousands of people across the country, it is the day that a loved one was taken from them. All day I kept looking at Graham and Claire, and thinking how blessed I am that the ones I love are safe and sound today.

I was just starting my sophomore year of high school on September 11, 2001. I remember first hearing something about a plane hitting the World Trade Center in first period, but nobody knew what was really going on. It wasn't until the middle of 2nd period, when the 2nd plane hit, that we knew something really bad was happening. I was only 15, I had never been to New York, and I remember actually thinking that the World Trade Center was somewhere by the New York Stock Exchange. When our teachers turned on the TV's in the classroom, is when I really understood what was going on. I remember everyone being scared. A lot of students went home early. I remember walking to the Theater building for 5th period, and the eerie sight of not one single plane in the sky. I remember watching TV and the coverage was on every single channel. I remember when I woke up the next day, before I opened my eyes, wishing that it had all been a dream, and life was going to go back to normal.

Eight months later, I went to New York for the first time with our high school theater group. We went to Ground Zero, and they had just finished clearing it. There were flowers and pictures of the victims everywhere. When we went to Grand Central station, there were still hundreds of Missing Person signs up all over. It was surreal. You could still feel the energy of everyone there. People were friendly and warm, and you could tell that the city was still grieving.

Eleven years later, the Freedom Tower symbolizes the strength and reslience of America. We are a country of fighters and survivors. With the upcoming election, it is sometimes hard to remember that we are all supposed to be on the same team.

One Nation Under God, Indivisible. With Liberty and Justice For All.



1 comment:

Lindsay said...

such a good post, bren!