August 31, 2015

Summer Book Review

I've read a few books this past month or so, after downloading Kindle Unlimited so I thought I'd share what I've read, because I really loved them all!! They are all fairly different genres I would say, but they were all page turners, and really had me hooked!


The first book I read was Leaving Haven. I loved this book. I love books about relationships between friends and the bonds of motherhood, so this was right up my alley. I will say the way the chapters are laid out got a bit confusing, since they were out of sequence and back and forth between the present and the past, but it wasn't too bad. If you like Emily Giffin (which I love), I would say this is a mix of Something Borrowed, Baby Proof and Heart of the Matter.


The second book I read was Fairy Tale Interrupted. SO good!!! I mean, I literally couldn't put it down. My children may have been a tad neglected while I was reading this one. I recently became fascinated with JFK when I caught a mini series on Netflix on the Kennedy family. I became interested with JFK Jr. and found this book highly recommended through the reviews on Kindle. It was so fascinating. It's written by JFK Jr.'s personal assistant, one of his closest confidants the last five years of his life. She began working for him shortly before the start-up of George Magazine, and worked closely with him until his death. I was fairly young when he died, and too young to have really known what George was at the time, although I'd heard of it as an adult, but let me tell you, this book was amazing. This reads like fiction, but it's not! I couldn't believe everything this woman got to see and experience. I love how her feisty personality really shines through the text, and how I got such enormous insight into what JFK Jr. was really like, not just the man the media portrayed him as. Read this book!!!


The most recent book I read was Yellow Crocus. I'm a huge lover of history, and I'm especially fascinated with early America and the Old South. If you love historical fiction, or if you loved The Help, you will probably be just as obsessed with this book as I am. It was amazing. It's about a slave who is taken away from her own baby to be a wet nurse to the baby of the master of the plantation. It's told through the eyes of both the slave, and her charge. It's amazing. Did I say that already?? I couldn't put this one down, either. I was hooked from the first page to the last. It's so fascinating to just get a glimpse at what life was like back then, and so heartbreaking to see how slaves were treated as property,  but the true lesson for me was that the bonds that tie us together as humans can overcome anything. I really would love to read more books like this.
 I can't say enough great things about it. 





No comments: